The history of Obninsk began in 1945 when the First Research Institute Laboratory “V”, which later became known as IPPE was founded. The city was built next to the plant in order to support it. Scientists, engineers, construction workers, teachers and other professionals moved to Obninsk from all over the Soviet Union. Town status was granted to Obninsk on June 24, 1956. The name of the city is taken from Obninskoye, the train station in Moscow-Bryansk railroad, built in Tsarist times.
Obninsk in 1970-s’ (SovietEraMuseum exclusive):
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin born Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (22 April 1870 – 21 January 1924) was a Russian communist revolutionary, politician and political theorist who served as the Premier of the Soviet Union from 1922 to 1924.
SovietEraMuseum exlusive. May be we have the biggest collection of communistic pins at the world. This is a first part. Pins with Vladimir Lenin.
Dmitri Baltermants (May 13, 1912 – 1990) was a prominent Soviet photojournalist.
SovietEraMuseum present a few photos of Dmitri Baltermants
Vera Ignatyevna Mukhina (born 1 July 1889 in Riga; died 6 October 1953 in Moscow) was a prominent Soviet sculptor.
Postcards from SovietEraMuseum (exclusive):
SovietEraMuseum exclusive! May be we have the biggest collection of Soviet space pins at the world. This is a first part. Soviet space programs with international crew.
Key countries: Crew from Mongolia, DDR, Cuba, India, Romania, Chezh Republic, Bulgaria
Key figures: Cosmomaut Romanenko, Cosmonaut Mendez, Cosmonaut Gubarev, Cosmonaut Strekalov and others.
The secret submarine base in a small Crimean town of Balaclava is one of the largest military installations that have been abandoned after the collapse of the USSR. A complex, containing ammunition (including nuclear) and performed repairs of submarines , is located at the Tavros mountain since 1961. The dock base could shelter up to 14 submarines of different classes, and the whole complex was able to withstand a direct hit of a nuclear bomb with the capacity of up to 100 kT. Abandoned in 1993 the site was pillaged for scrap metal by local residents.
Soviet times (1960-s’):
SovietEraMuseum present a series of articles “Destroyed Plants”. Part I. Stakhanov Coke Plant (Voroshilovgrad region, Ukrainian SSR)
In January 26, 1924, five days after Lenin’s death, Petrograd was renamed Leningrad. Later some streets and other toponyms were renamed accordingly. The city has over 230 places associated with the life and activities of Lenin. Some of them were turned into museums, as well as cruiser Aurora – a symbol of the October Revolution and the oldest ship in the Russian Navy.
Leningrad in 1960-s’. Panoramic b/w photos. Exclusive by SovietEraMuseum:
Combat elements of the Ground Forces were organized into combined arms and tank armies. A combined arms army included three motorized rifle divisions and a tank division. A tank army had three tank divisions and one motorized rifle division. In the late 1980s, the Ground Forces began to field corps that were more than twice the size of a single division. In 1989 the Soviet Union had 150 motorized rifle and 52 tank divisions . A motorized rifle division had 12,000 soldiers organized into three motorized rifle regiments, a tank regiment, an artillery regiment, an air defense regiment, surfaceto -surface missile and antitank battalions, and supporting chemical, engineer, signal, reconnaissance, and rear services companies. A typical tank division had 10,000 soldiers organized into three tank regiments and one motorized rifle regiment. In 1989 the Ground Forces also included eight brigades of air assault, or air-mobile, units that conducted helicopter landing operations. The Soviet Ground Forces viewed the tank as their primary weapon. In 1989 the Tank Troops had five types of main battle tanks, including the T-54/55, T-62, T-64, T-72, and T-80. The greater part of the total tank inventory of 53,000 consisted of older, although still highly potent, T-54/55 and T-62 tanks.
SovietEraMuseum present a few photos about Soviet tank troops:
1970-s’ – The “Goden years” of Soviet Red Army. Soviet sham fight “Shield-76” and “North” photos from the SovietEraMuseum archive: