The history of Obninsk began in 1945 when the First Research Institute Laboratory “V”, which later became known as IPPE was founded. The city was built next to the plant in order to support it. Scientists, engineers, construction workers, teachers and other professionals moved to Obninsk from all over the Soviet Union. Town status was granted to Obninsk on June¬†24, 1956. The name of the city is taken from Obninskoye, the train station in Moscow-Bryansk railroad, built in Tsarist times.

Obninsk in 1970-s’ (SovietEraMuseum exclusive):

Obninsk in 1960-s’:

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply