The Leningrad Metro is the underground railway system in Leningrad and Leningrad Oblast. It has been open since November 15, 1955. The system exhibits many typical Soviet designs and features exquisite decorations and artwork making it one of the most attractive and elegant metros in the world. Due to the city’s unique geology, the Saint Petersburg Metro is one of the deepest subway systems in the world and the deepest by the average depth of all the stations. The system’s deepest station, Admiralteyskaya, is 105 metres below ground. Serving two and a half million passengers daily, it is also the 12th busiest subway system in the world. n 1946 ‘Lenmetroproekt’ was created, under the leadership of M A Samodurov, to finish the construction of the metro first phase. New version of the metro project, devised by specialists, identified two new solutions to the problems to be encountered during the metro construction. Firstly, stations were to be built an a level slightly raised above that of normal track so as to prevent drainage directly into them, whilst the average tunnel width was to be reduced from the 6 metre standard of the Moscow Metro to 5.5 m. On September 3, 1947, construction began again in the Leningrad subway, and finally, in December 1954 the Council of Ministers of the USSR ordered the establishment of the state transport organization ‘Leningradsky Metropoliten’; it was initially headed by Ivan Novikov. Initially, the organisation was located in the building directly above Tekhnologichesky Institut station. On October 7, 1955, the electricity was first turned on in the metro, and finally on November 5, 1955, the act by which the first stage of the metro was officially put into operation, was signed. Ten years after the end of the war, at the beginning of the post-Stalin Khrushchev Thaw, the city finally got an underground transport network. The subway grand opening was held on November 15, 1955, with the first seven stations (the eighth one, Pushkinskaya opened a few months later) being put into public use. These stations later became part of the Kirovsko-Vyborgskaya Line, initially connecting the Moscow Rail Terminal in the city centre with the Kirovsky industrial zone in the southwest. Subsequent development included lines under the Neva River in 1958, as well as the construction of the Vyborgsky Radius in the mid-1970s to reach the new housing developments in the north. In 1978, the line was extended past the city limits into the Leningrad Oblast. In total, 1,023 governmental awards were awarded to participants of the construction of the metro first stage.
Photos and sybway scheme via the SovietEraMusem: